Followers

Friday, November 21, 2014

I am an Artist.

What makes an artist? Fame? How much a painting sells for? What is the magic that allows for one to say with confidence and knowing, "I am an artist" I often ask myself this when in conversation and people ask the frequent "what do you do?" I always smile and half laugh thinking what a silly question this is. Yes, what do you do? It's so vague and non descriptive and so non allowing....somehow this question is wanted to be answered in terms of how much money is made, what material possessions have been collected or what status has been achieved. It's quite funny when I answer, I am a painter, or I am an artist, I can almost feel the rolling of eyes in the questioning person the smirk of, isn't everyone? I was watching a documentary about Vincent Van Gogh a few nights ago. I felt such compassion for this man. He was treated so poorly, laughed at, rejected, and thought to be simply crazy. Maybe all artists are a bit "crazy" or maybe we are the sensible ones...the ones that really feel the human experience thoroughly, squeezing every last drop of pain and suffering through our hearts and minds until we disintegrate into a type of nothingness. Some artists are never recognized or even respected in their lifetime. Often times they pass away and their identity disappears on this earth plane, only to be praised and worshipped in spirit. I wonder of some artists I know today....I wonder of myself.. We will be remembered? will it take death to wake up the world to our expressions? I certainly hope people are able to appreciate the art that is being freely given each day, the gifts that artists bestow on us; and not waiting until the person can no longer hear the appreciation, but here and now tell them how much their gift of expression means to you.

could it be-

the gnarly roots
of the shadows
we sit in
are- in truth,
perched on 
freely rolling hills
and spilling, radiant 
light?

Painting and Poetry by Mary Sayard 

5 comments:

  1. Amy,

    I love this post so much. Lately, I have been discouraging myself from making art. I have been caught into the logistics of painting and putting worth into my artwork that I make myself not want to paint.

    I also love the poet <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashley, I really am so happy this post helped you! CREATE!!!! Keep creating even in the darkest times :) Stop thinking and just let go! This is something I have to learn again and again <3 love you girl. thanks for reading. AND YES Mary has some lovely work!

      Delete
  2. Ah! Keep trying to post and it will not allow me:) I love this post! I used to get this SO much about my photography. I would laugh, but sometimes it made me feel awful! I went to the school of Ted and Gerald Hunter of Photography I should have said! <3 you are absolutely an ARTIST <3 love my artist family! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for reading Mandy! Funny, I was going to ask you if I could use one of your photos here. I thought of making a collection of you, Sarah, Dad, Jen, Adam, Jason, ...wow I could go on and on, yes our family is full of artists! ;) We are so blessed! Thanks again Mandy, I LOVE YOU!!!! XOXOXO

      Delete
    2. you can always use one of my photos<3


      Delete